Perloo the Bold
What’s this book about?
Perloo, a peaceful scholar who has been chosen to succeed Jolaine as leader of the furry underground people called the Montmers, finds himself in danger when Jolaine dies and her evil son seizes control of the burrow.
Story Behind the Story
Now here is a topic for someone (not me) to write about: Books written for a specific child. There are quite a few. You can start with Alice in Wonderland.
My son, Robert, was an avid skier and a very fine one. He was also a reader. There was a time when he was reading the Redwall series by British writer, Brian Jacques, and was deeply involved in the books. Good books they are, and Mr. Jacques, whom I met a couple of times, was quite charming.
Awards and Recognition
- Starred review, Publishers Weekly
- One of top 10 Fantasy Novels for Youth, 1998–99, Booklist
- Children’s choice nominee, Oklahoma
- Children’s Choice nominee, New Mexico
- Children’s Choice nominee, Texas
- Children’s Choice nominee, Florida
- Children’s Choice nominee, Connecticut
“… exciting, suspenseful and witty.” (Publishers Weekly)